Posts for the month of July 2012

UHC Core measures, Standard Medication Terms, and REDCap integration added to HERON in Cimarron release

Cimarron release includes a new structure for browsing data (medications), addition of a new data repository (REDCap), and new data concepts (UHC) plus bug fixes.

  • We can now import data from selected REDCap projects into HERON. This integration effort was piloted with a Cancer Registry.
  • Medication navigation improved due to organization by RxNorm based on GCN or NDC codes instead of clinical drug level, such as pill size. 89% of medication is mapped to RxNorm and we continue to work on the remaining 11%.
  • Visit details for inpatient visits provides insight into what services were assigned to a patient during their hospital stay.
  • Three important new types of UHC data available
    • Physician role and specialty are available to search in the UHC Visit Details folder.
    • Core Measures are standardized, evidenced based measures used by UHC to evaluate hospitals. These measures were designed by the Joint Commission to permit more rigorous comparisons of hospitals.
    • Numerator or denominator only case flag is added to AHRQ. See more information on AHRQ.

HERON Cimarron Contents Summary

This month, our tour of rivers and lakes in Kansas honors Cimarron River.

The HERON repository contains approximately 755 million real observations from the hospital, clinics, and research systems:

Observation Patients Source Go-Live Snapshot Issues
Demographics 18.2M 1.92M
KUH Billing (O2 via SMS) 1980s June 2012 various*
UKP Billing 2000 June 2012
11.6K 11.6K Frontiers participant registry Jun 2009 June 2012
184.6K 184.6k Social Security Death Index 1962 June 2012
Diagnoses (IDC9) 20.5M 618K
KUH/O2/Epic Nov 2007 June 2012 various*
UKP Billing 2000 June 2012
Medications 100M 263K
KUH/O2/Epic Nov 2007 June 2012 various*
89.8M 250K Medications by VA Class/Clinical? Dose Form (DRAFT) Nov 2007 June 2012 various*
Nursing Observations 491M ?
KUH/O2/Epic Nov 2007 June 2012 various*
Lab Results 75.8M 268K
KUH/O2/Epic 2003 June 2012 various*
Procedures (CPT) 10.1M 555K
UKP Billing 2000 June 2012
Specimens 31.3K 3.06K
KUMC Biospecimen Repository ? June 2012
Visit Details 2.24M
KUH/O2/Epic Nov 2007 June 2012
Cancer Cases 9.3M 63.8K
KUH Cancer Registry 1950s June 2012 labels*
Hospital Quality Metrics 3.90M 56.9K
University HealthSystem Consortium (UHC) Q4 2008 June 2012
Triple Negative Breast Cancer Registry (BRCA) 15.9K 123
REDCap July 2011 June 2012
All 755M

Beta Disclaimer

We are providing this early access to obtain feedback from you, the research community. While we are actively working on validating the data loaded into the system with hospital and clinic technical staff, there may be problems with our translation of data from our source systems (HospitalEpicSource and ClinicIdxSource) into HERON.

Please email us at heron-admin@kumc.edu if you discover information you believe may be erroneous.

We are actively working on enhancing the types of data included. Stay tuned to our roadmap to track progress toward upcoming releases.

Various Issues Still Apply

Keep in mind the issues noted in the original HERON beta notice, including:

Enhancements and Problems/Defects/Issues Addressed in this Release

#1048
Navigate Medications by National Standard hierarchy (RxNorm, NDFRT, VA)
#1243
Load UHC Core measures observations into HERON
#1244
Load UHC physician specialty and roles

Outstanding Problems/Defects/Issues